Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp for 4pi speakers (Integrated stereo amp without dsp or AVR with audyssey)
Re: Amp for 4pi speakers [message #89291 is a reply to message #89289] Wed, 28 November 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
vandevoordekoen is currently offline  vandevoordekoen
Chancellor
tom-m wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 17:44
About your amp question, you could use the AVR for the convenience, with remote and many inputs. And if your AVR has pre-out, you can use a higher quality external amp if needed.

Very nice job on the speaker cabinets!
tom
Thank you Tom!
They're finished with birch, I love the scandinavian look of it. Smile
About the amps, that's a good idea!

I tried it.

First I hooked up a marantz PM6006 stereo amp (not too fancy but good stereo amp) directly to the speakers and it sounded good! Controlled and warm at the same time.

Switched then to the Denon X2400H (the AVR that I tested earlier with Audyssey room correction) and I could hear immediately a difference. With room connection and without. Without having golden ears. Smile

The Marantz just "controlled" the sound more. That's the best way I can describe it.

When I hooked the Marantz up to the Denon's pre-out, it didn't sound as good as I expected. Even in direct mode on the Denon AVR, the Marantz didn't sound as good as when I connected the source directly to the Marantz.

So the stereo amp was a clear winner to me.
I'd like to connect provisionally a DSP to a stereo amp to control the 100hz-300hz frequency range, but the tested PM6006 unfortunately doesn't have a PRE OUT.

Can someone give me some advice here? I'm looking for a good stereo amp (<800$) with digital connections (at least two opticals) and a pre-out to connect a DSP?

..until or in combination with the flanking subs/multiple subs approach. Wink

(Ah, I guess this quest for the perfect sound is a never ending story.. Surprised )

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message