Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp for 4pi speakers (Integrated stereo amp without dsp or AVR with audyssey)
Re: Amp for 4pi speakers [message #89288 is a reply to message #89287] Tue, 27 November 2018 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In my experience, 200Hz is about the limit of the flanking sub (helper woofer) approach. But I've blended the woofer with the mid(woofer) to ~250Hz in some loudspeakers and it has worked well.

Some specialized cases, like the constant directivity cornerhorns, allow for a wide overlap band. Many 2.5-ways are designed this way too. The midwoofer and helper-woofer are in fairly close proximity, so they can overlap to fairly high frequency.

But when I've run subwoofers as "helper woofers" - in the configuration I call "flanking subs" - I generally don't run them that high. They are localizable if the rolloff if made too high. I generally use low-pass between 90-120Hz second-order, which provides quite a bit of output in the 100Hz to 200Hz region because rolloff is so gradual.

You could try 150Hz second-order, which would definitely provide output up to 200Hz and beyond. But it might start to sound unnatural when run that high.

As for the modal smoothing below 100Hz, please do a search here for multisub setups. There are a few approaches, but most agree that if you have four subs (or more) it almost doesn't matter where you put them. Just don't cluster them together - Place them around the room.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message