Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp for 4pi speakers (Integrated stereo amp without dsp or AVR with audyssey)
Amp for 4pi speakers [message #89283] Tue, 27 November 2018 03:34 Go to previous message
vandevoordekoen is currently offline  vandevoordekoen
Chancellor
Hello

Thanks to Wayne, I've built a set of 4pi speakers a few years ago.
However, the room acoustics of our living room are far from ideal.
We have an L-shaped room and this is the best aesthetic speaker setup:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2265&private=0

The 4pi speakers aren't toed-in, they are not on stands. Just on the floor straight forward. It's a compromise between good audio and aesthetics.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2266&private=0

There is no acoustic treatment (it's a living room). The only possible treatment are carpets, thick curtains and two book cabinets across from the speakers.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2267&private=0

At this moment the 4pi speakers are driven by
- Pro-Ject DAC (https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/dac-box-s-fl/)
- Pro-Ject pre-amp (https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stereo-box-s/)
- HH MOSFET amp (from a radio studio)

It's an OK setup, but it's not really user-friendly (I don't get enough digital connections, there are multiple 'power on' buttons, and the MOSFET amp is not user-friendly at all, it's a really old amp, without soft start, that used to be always powered on)

My wife asked me for a more 'easy' setup and I can understand her.

When I connected the speakers to a Denon X2400H (I know, an AVR, some audiophiles will already roll their eyes Smile ), I have to agree: it didn't sound much better.

But when I calibrated the amp with audyssey MultEQ Ext, the built-in room correction software of the AVR, we were like WOW.
What a difference. The LF sounds much cleaner now and the HF much brighter. It was like we had a new set of speakers.

This is what audyssey EQ did to the sound:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2268&private=0

With REW software, I measured the differences (from listening position). Red is before EQ, green is after EQ:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2269&private=0

You can clearly see the differences. You can also see that some signal is lost in the 60-100hz area. I could tweak it with the audyssey app, but I didn't purchase it yet. But overall, it just sounds better.

I know the possibilities of flanking subs to deal with the modes in the LF area, and I experimented with it (2 passive 3pi subs). But somehow, it never worked quite well. Maybe because of our L-shaped room? The assymetrical placement of the speakers in our room?

So, is it possible?

Is a 700€ AVR the best solution here?

However, I read that an integrated amp is always better than a AVR.
But on the other hand, some people swear that one can't hear an audible difference between amps in the 500-1000$ price range and above. They 'prove' it with blind tests.

It seems an eternal discussion to me.

I don't know. (But I do know that I don't have golden ears and I don't have a perfect listening room with good accoustics.)

At this moment the Denon x2400H with audyssey is connected and it's doing well..

This week I can test a Marantz PM6006 amp. I'm curious... Smile

What are your thoughts considering my situation?
- go with the AVR?
- go with an integrated amp?
- go with an integrated amp, bump up the treble and try to do some EQ/room correction around 200hz? (does something like that is possible under 1000$?)

We watch 75% movies, listen 25% music.

Thank you for your advice!

PS sorry for the spelling mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message