Home » Audio » Source » Why Vinyl Sucks
Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89267 is a reply to message #89263] Tue, 20 November 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've known Fred for a long time and I'm fairly certain that he posted that tongue-in-cheek. Smile

I'm a vinyl lover too. And reel-to-reel. And even cassette, but only tapes recorded on a very good recorder. I have lots of cassettes that sound fantastic.

Way back before there were any digital recordings, I played around with the technology. I'm talking 1970s. I'm an electrical engineer, and I worked for Data General on minicomputers with D/A and A/D converters, so I could digitize music, store it on a disk drive and recreate it for playback. Back then, I was excited about the possibilities that we enjoy now.

So I'm not an "analog snob" but I'm also not unaware of the limits of digital. Then again, there are endless debates about digital formats that are interesting academically but sometimes less interesting acoustically. A file can be pretty digitally compressed before the loss is audible. Analog compression is a different matter - Compression of the dynamic range is immediately obvious past a certain point.

So to me, the things that really mess up a recording are more in the mix than they are in the storage medium.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Storing vinyl records
Next Topic: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 04:22:12 CDT 2024