Home » Audio » General » Does The Weather Affect The Quality Of Music?
Re: Does The Weather Affect The Quality Of Music? [message #88681 is a reply to message #88678] Sun, 12 August 2018 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What I've said relates to loudspeakers, not musical instruments. I am proficient in the design of loudspeakers, but not musical instruments.

Loudspeakers do not depend upon panel resonance, and in fact, are designed to minimize the effects of panel resonance. So the only thing that comes into play is characteristics of the medium, which is air.

There are a lot of properties in loudspeaker design that are affected by the speed of sound, which is why I mentioned the effects of temperature, humidity and (altitude) changes in air pressure.

But these properties are only mildly affected by the changes caused by temperature, humidity and altitude, and are overshadowed by the parameter shifts from thermal changes due to power.

Musical instruments are very different. They do depend on panel resonance of the instrument body. The wood material and even the finish chosen have an effect on their sound. But this is where my experience ends with respect to musical instruments. I don't know what I would expect to change with environmental shifts. I would hope it wouldn't be too drastic though.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe?
Next Topic: Innovations that changed media consumption
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 03:07:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout