Home » Audio » General » The social aspect of music platforms
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88336 is a reply to message #88303] Thu, 05 July 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I worked a contract for HP to develop an Ereader. They wanted to provide a device like a Kindle or iPad. So I helped to design one for them.

Part of their stated design goal was the software on the device should allow notes to be shared among users. They wanted a social media for book readers. At first, I thought it was stupid. And ultimately the application didn't gain the popularity they had hoped. But it doesn't change the fact that social media is really popular with millennials.

I did think of one application for such a tool - To be able to share notes on things like technical manuals; When a technician found some aspect of one of his tasks that he felt merited mention, he could share that with other techs in the field. I could see sharing book notes to be useful in that regard.

Still, whether social media makes sense or not, millennials love it. They share about everything. They literally get out of bed and post on the internet about their morning shower. Then they share about every other thing they do. Youths today share about everything trivial. It's just a part of what they have become. So I'm not surprised to see social media brought into any and all aspects of our lives.

I do think this is a fad though. It will subside; Later generations will become less chatty. I think people will continue to share in a multitude of ways, so all the connections we've developed will continue to be used. I just think people will bore of the trivia and it will eventually become bad form to publicly share minutia.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Louder Volume Equals Inaudible Words
Next Topic: How is sound important?