Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 101 (Thoughts and ideas for new exhibitors)
Re: LSAF 101 [message #88165 is a reply to message #88164] Tue, 12 June 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Carts. If you can bring your own cart and/or dolly you'll be way ahead of the game. You'll save a lot of time and grief if you don't have to wait for others to be finished with the hotel dolly as many vendors seem to tear down at exactly the same time. At that point you'll see a bunch of vendors standing around doing nothing as they wait for the wheels. If you have own wheels you get to leave when you want.

CD player. Yes, it's old fashioned and out of date but if a potential customer can't hear a couple of their own cuts on your gear they aren't going to be able to make any serious decisions about your gear. They'll leave thinking it was nice but won't connect the way they will with their own tunes. When you get to hear your own music and it sounds absolutely amazing you really get FAR more serious about the gear.

CD player, part 2. Tidal is a great service but it's jazz and classical selections are severely limited. You won't be able to play anything but standards and that isn't going to satisfy someone who wants to hear something a bit less mainstream. Hate to be really blunt about it but if you don't play the music a guest wants to hear you're really just sitting in a hotel room all weekend playing tunes for yourself. You may enjoy it and your guests may enjoy what they hear but your chance of selling anything shrinks dramatically.

Someone who hears a great system is likely to say "Yeah, I heard system XYZ and it sure sounded good".

Someone who hears a great system with their own tunes is more likely to say "Yeah, I heard my favorite Abba tunes on system XYZ. It sounded soooo freakin' good. Now I REALLY want it.".

Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse here but you want folks to connect with your system and the best way to do that is to play their music. Dylan, Yes, Mozart, Brubeck, Thelonious Monk or Weird Al. Doesn't matter if you like it - they do. The music that makes them happy will make them happier if it sounds sensational playing in your room.

CD player, part 3. Tidal plays perfectly well before Saturday when the hotel's Internet connection isn't being taxed but come Saturday it gets a bit dicey. There are a lot of rooms trying to stream a lot of music on Saturday and there are a lot of demos where the mood gets thrown by the choppy connection. You're better off playing the music off a local music server (or CD!) and just using Tidal when a customer requests something you or they didn't bring to the show. It'll keep the mood right and the music flowing.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: LSAF 2024
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:07:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects