Home » Audio » General » Audio Aesthetics
Audio Aesthetics [message #88112] Sun, 03 June 2018 09:02 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
index.php?t=getfile&id=2133&private=0

A couple of years ago we downsized from the standard issue McMansion to a much smaller one story custom home, which we were able to design from scratch with an architect's assistance. One topic of our discussions was the aesthetic appearance of the stereo system, which sits where a fireplace would normally be placed at the focal point of the great room. My wife's simple request was that it shouldn't be butt ugly like most of my audiophile friends' systems. Women can be so unreasonable. Laughing

So we showed the architect and the interior designer some pictures of audiophile systems, and when they recovered from their shock and dismay, their advice was that wires shouldn't be visible. The interior designer also confided to my wife that a speaker is a thing of unspeakable ugliness that should Boze size, hidden on a high shelf, and preferably placed behind a fern. I vetoed the speaker advice but agreed they wouldn't be taller than five feet and wouldn't be pulled out more than five feet into the room.

We ended up with only two electronic components, a Krell integrated and an Oppo universal player stacked on an 18th century antique oak chest, with very thin Kimber 4tc as the only visible cable. A reasonable compromise. While my wife was out of town I sneaked in a 12" subwoofer, which I hid under a large art book so my wife wouldn't notice.

• Attachment: DSC04379.JPG
    (Size: 110.29KB, Downloaded 1067 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message