Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Rough concept
Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88245 is a reply to message #88191] Sun, 24 June 2018 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ggnarley is currently offline  ggnarley
Chancellor
The goodies from Wayne came in. I purchased the x-overs and wave guides. I only have one set of drivers (JBL 2226 Midbase and B&C 250 cd) at this point, so time to get one up and going.

Placed the waveguide in cutout to mark for mounting holes. Drilled and inserted t-nuts. Somehow I got one of the holes a hair off so will have to pull t-nut, ream hole and reinstall. But that can wait.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2159&private=0

Wayne suggests putting something under x-over to keep it from vibrating. Took a tour of our basement and found and old snow sled that would work great. It is just a thin piece of plastic laminated to 1/8 foam.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2160&private=0

Measured and cut with utility knife and it worked great. Had to enlarge x-over holes just a bit to allow screws through. Mounted it and resistor to bottom of cabinet.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2161&private=0

Have been doing a little more electrical work than normal lately. Finally got some crimpers to make electrical connections and wishing I had bought them years ago. They make really strong professional looking connections. I crimped all the wires for one speaker. I would think spade lugs would give a better connection, but both drivers had only spring loaded connections, so I used those.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2162&private=0

Time to listen to some music now. Still don't have insulation in place, but want to hear how it sounds. Got my son to help carry it into the living room and hook it up. They are heavy!

WOW!! I have the 4pi on one one channel and my existing bookshelf speaker on the other channel. Sounds like there is a pillow over the bookshelf speaker compared to the pi. The two things that stick out to me right away are the vocals and percussion. Etta James "At Last" sounded like she was in the room. This is even with just one channel. Percussion was equally impressive. Night and day difference from the bookshelf speaker.

Wife and son also really liked the sound. My younger son then wanted to play something he likes that was only on spotify. It was some current pop song, but you could immediately tell how compressed it was. I stuck to CD rips for the rest of the listening session. Played classic rock, blues, classical, vocals and it was all like listening to the music the first time.

Currently I am running an old NAD 3020 amp I got in college many many moons ago. Only has 20 watts and can barely drive the book shelf speakers to a somewhat loud level. At 1 watt my one 4pi sounds much better. Played a few songs at about 10 watts when rest of family was away and it sounded incredible.

It will be hard to unhook this speaker to finish it up.

Paul

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message