Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Rough concept
Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88191 is a reply to message #88161] Sat, 16 June 2018 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ggnarley is currently offline  ggnarley
Chancellor
Installed cleats on back board of cabinet to guide brace going from front to back. Slightly tapered the front edge so it will funnel the brace into position. Will put two screws through back and into brace for extra support. On the front side of the brace I used some Kreg pocket screws.

Brace going from side to side is also held in place by pocket screws. Each brace is just a hair longer than needed to give a compression fit.

Port sides are 1/2 baltic birch I had lying around. Glued up port box separately on it's end and stapled with finish nails. After it dried I glued and screwed it to the front face, then added some 2 inch screws.

I'm on the fence with the black foam tape I used for sealing the speaker back. I screwed the back in while I was fitting the braces, and when I took the back off, the foam stayed about completely compressed. I guess I was expecting it to bounce back a little bit.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2155&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2156&private=0

I have some black speaker grill from parts express and wanted to mock up what the final speaker would look like. Plan on wrapping 3 sides with the cloth. Tried some walnut and it was ok. Liked the maple pictured here a lot better. As of now, my plan is to build a solid 2" thick slab that overlaps a bit on all sides. I will recess the center around 3/4" so it stays in place and covers the top edges. Will oversize a bit to allow for seasonal wood movement. I may also run a maple board about 5" to 6" down the back of each side as pictured. It breaks up the blockiness of the mass. (Hat tip to Josh).

index.php?t=getfile&id=2157&private=0

Here is the lumber I will use. It is the last of some maple and walnut I got about 20 years ago. My wife and I refer to that time as BC - (before children). Anyway, still working out exact details of how to attach everything. Noodling a couple ways to be able to remove the grill without too much hassle.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2158&private=0

I would like to add some extra protection to the woofer. First,
these may be moved and used for various school, church family functions. Second, our house is a bit crazy at times. We have gone through fazes of inside roller bladeing, skateboarding football and soccer. I've looked at various official metal type speaker grills, and even forming my own from hardware cloth. It doesn't have to be pretty as it will be covered by the grill cloth. Then I saw our pizza screen used for baking pizzas and thought it might work. I can get a 15" one for about 3 dollars. If it doesn't work, we use it for cooking. If it does, I will change the speaker name to pizza pi. Shocked

Paul

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message