Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Build Thread: 2Pi Towers, 6Pi Corner horns (and possibly a sub and center) (Building some Pi Speakers)
Re: Build Thread: 2Pi Towers, 6Pi Corner horns (and possibly a sub and center) [message #88436 is a reply to message #88057] Sat, 14 July 2018 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
joshua43214 is currently offline  joshua43214
Baron
I trimmed the extra material off the horn flares, and sanded the joints flush.
The flare was then inverted over the mouth of the box, and the long edges marked out for trimming
index.php?t=getfile&id=2187&private=0

I used one of the supports for the bass bin as a sled to run the flare through the table saw. I first made a cut that I was sure would be ok, then tapped the fence over as much as I dared and cut to the line.
index.php?t=getfile&id=2188&private=0

Fitting the long edge is just a matter of sanding until it fits, while being extra careful to sand to the line, and to keep the edges parallel.
index.php?t=getfile&id=2190&private=0

Once the flare is close to fitting, extra care should be taken to not split the box. MDF is a very weak material in tension, and you will split it with almost no effort. Patience is the key, it does not take any special talent or skill. Just check it often, wear a glove, and think happy thoughts.

The human eye is remarkably adept at spotting regular shapes and shadow lines. Measure over and over as you go to make sure the top and bottom edges are the same width, and they are not tapered.
index.php?t=getfile&id=2189&private=0
Trust your eyes. If it looks like this when you sight down the edge, you have done very well.

Next: Finishing up the flare

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message