Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7pi plan and guidance request (How should I use my 2226s and 2242s?)
Re: 7pi plan and guidance request [message #87184 is a reply to message #87182] Thu, 01 February 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have the right corners, I would suggest using the 2226 drivers in seven π constant directivity cornerhorns and make subwoofers from the 2242 drivers. Put the subs in opposite corners or somewhere distant from the cornerhorns, in a multisub configuration. This will smooth low-frequency room modes. If the subs will be in corners, then put them in seven π-18 cabinets. If not, then put them in an 8ft3 box tuned to 30Hz.

If you don't have corners suitable for constant directivity cornerhorns, then make four π mains for the 2226 drivers and flank the mains with helper woofers using 2226 drivers. This "flanking sub" configuration helps mitigate self-interference from nearest boundaries, especially the wall behind the speakers. Constant directivity cornerhorns don't suffer from near-boundary reflections because they are acoustically close. But if you can't use seven π cornerhorns because the room layout doesn't allow, then use four π mains on 12" stands and flanking subs beside them.

In this case, each flanking sub (helper woofer) would actually be another four π cabinet sans tweeter, and it would sit beside, behind and below the main speaker. This has it offset a few feet in all three dimensions. Low-pass the helper woofer at 90Hz second-order. As described above, I'd suggest the 2242 woofers be used as distributed multisubs, with the low-pass set to around 80Hz fourth-order.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 7pi plans and planning
Next Topic: 1Pi plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 21:54:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio