Home » Audio » Speaker » $27,000 Speakers!
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #86979 is a reply to message #86972] Thu, 11 January 2018 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Some audiophiles have the funds to own costly speakers they can be proud of, nothing wrong with that.

In my experience, some very expensive speakers are the result of brand name, cabinet work, and the way they are finished.
They may not sound any better in your environment (or could sound worse) than a $700. set of tower speakers for instance.

I once owned (built) a pair almost identical to those linked, using even more expensive scan speak drivers.
Basically a dual, small woofer (bass array) with a nice mid-range and beryllium tweeter.
The enclosures were less fancy, but maybe not, as they had a nice piano black finish (that's a matter of taste)..

They were a proven design diy (supposedly), and still cost me over $4000. just for the drivers and crossovers, combined with lumber and finish materials, not including my time in labor to build them.

I was never happy with their sound, and sold them after a year or so. I found them to be very "un-exciting". I just could not get to enjoying them.
I now attribute that to their very low sensitivity.

It was a lesson learned for me, that I don't particularly care for the sound of low sensitivity speakers, requiring the need for tons of (solid state) watts/power.

I recommend anyone looking to buy very expensive consumer grade speakers, to be sure of what type of speaker you enjoy the sound of (low sensitivity vs. high) before investing.

Low sensitivity tower speakers like these can be
"all bark and no bite" LOL!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Apple Homepod