Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Best Acoustic Tricks
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87272 is a reply to message #86838] Sun, 25 February 2018 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
The best example I can give concerns a type of room I have never seen before. (Trust me....this goes somewhere).

This concerns something you cannot see. Soundwaves. They do have a physical property though, in that they bounce off of things. Walls, car interiors, your eardrums......An acoustic sound is going to lose some of its quality when it has to bounce off of hard corners. In a room that is totally circular however, this isn't going to happen. The sound waves are not "bouncing" off of anything, rather they are "rolling" around the room.

So to assume soundwaves are not going to lose quality when they bump up against something like a sharp corner, is to assume that nothing bad will happen when it does something unnatural to its very nature. This is why the shape of a room is important. It will determine how you are going to "dampen" the corners in conjunction to where you have to put the speakers. And if you have 8 foot ceilings, 4 speakers that are 4 feet high and each one is in each corner? Half the battle is won right away. Just don't point them directly at each other, Tilt them a little off the 45 degree angle. That way the sound is rolling around the room instead of bouncing off of itself.

That would just be weird. Laughing

The soundwaves coming out of your speakers........? You want your room to be as accomodating to them as possible if you want to experience the full sound that your system has to offer.

Credit.............

I got this advice when I was a teenager. He was an old timer in the Missouri Ozarks, in a house pretty far away from other people, who listened to nothing but Hawaiian music. Strange, was a good way to describe him. I have tried this advice out from time to time and it does seem to make a difference.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Rugs
Next Topic: How to deaden sound for neighbors?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 03:04:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio