Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Why is drywall bad?
Re: Why is drywall bad? [message #86463 is a reply to message #86461] Thu, 02 November 2017 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true. Rooms with framed drywall construction are much better than rooms with brick, stucco, concrete or rock walls. The drywall panels vibrate enough that they absorb some of the bass frequencies, and so act a little bit like panel absorbers.

But to Bruce's point, even that isn't enough if the room doesn't have more absorbent stuff in it. I've heard drywall rooms that had flutter echo so bad they sounded like a bird chirping, especially when given a transient signal like a hand clap.

I do find that rooms with framed drywall construction and wall-to-wall carpeting with ample furnishings are usually pretty well behaved. They can be improved upon, sure, but I think most people in homes with framed drywall rooms have at least a good starting point.

Many don't need additional acoustic treatments to sound good, especially when the sound system uses technologies that mitigate room acoustics problems. A directional loudspeaker that is properly placed will help minimize early reflection problems, and should create a tonally-uniform reverberent field. And flanking subs and multisubs will mitigate room modes and reflection problems in the lower end of the frequency scale.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Does type of floor affect acoustics?
Next Topic: Finding best sound system for high ceilings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 02:58:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout