Home » Audio » Home Theater » For how long should a system last?
Re: For how long should a system last? [message #85775 is a reply to message #85774] Thu, 03 August 2017 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Sort of a follow on. My previous comments are based largely on HT systems. For something like vinyl playback, radio reception, and tape playing there doesn't seem to be any magic number. With care gear made 50 years ago will be as good as newer stuff. I personally have quite a bit of equipment that is from the early 70's that is in perfect condition. Right now I'm listening to a Marantz 2265B receiver. It was made in 1975. I would gladly put it up against anything new. Now to be sure it listed for something like $800 back then and with inflation a fair comparison would probably be against equipment that most users would never see in a store now. Likely new gear would be in the $8000 range. Many new pieces of equipment are designed with a limited life span and designed to be trashed after a few years. Cheaper for sure, but kid of a sad comment on how we think and what is valuable. Much of the vintage gear..partly because it was a significant financial investment was build to last. Two of the best performing turntables I have are over 40 years old, one nearly 50. Sadly we have become admirers of the "latest, greatest, shiny things" and don't seem to value quality, or perhaps more frightful, we don't recognize it when we see it. Time to jump off my soap box.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Packing your system
Next Topic: Buying similar brands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 21:30:08 CDT 2024