Home » Audio » General » Will they get cheaper with time?
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85181 is a reply to message #85177] Tue, 09 May 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, IMO there will be both a yes and no answer. The yes is that modest gear will get better in performance and either stay the same or go down slightly in price. High end gear will go up. First, new technology almost always has an up front development cost. Second it will initially have low sales. Both of these will tend to drive the cost up. When that gear is no longer the best available the price will drop and the circle will start over with the next great thing. I am actually surprised at how inexpensive a lot of great gear is now. If you figure the quality of it vs what the inflated cost now is compared to stuff from the 70s or so it comes out cheaper. The Marantz amp just above my PC that I'm listening to at the moment (via phono) was $200 in 1969. In today's dollars it would probably be 10 times or more that much in cost, but for performance it can be duplicated for perhaps only $4-500 with modern gear. So while the present costs seem high they really are not. I remember back in 1969 having what I thought was a decent salary of $8500 per year. Now that is far below poverty level. BTW I figure the really inexpensive stuff (as in cheap) now will still be about as cheap and perform in the say way cheap stuff does now.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Laptop speakers malfunctioning?
Next Topic: Isolation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 00:39:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout