Home » Audio » Source » Thorens TD145 question...
Thorens TD145 question... [message #11985] Fri, 11 March 2005 16:04 Go to previous message
toddM is currently offline  toddM
Esquire
Hey all,

I have a Thorens TD145 that I bought at a flea market a while back for $20. It produced no sound.

So, I had it serviced by a local electronics shop that was working on a pair of highly modified Dynaco Mark III monoblocks I've got, and I think all he did was replace the cartridge. He put a Shure on it, which was what was on it when I bought it.

Anyway, I took all the goods home when they were ready and hooked everything up to my unmodified Dynaco PAS 1 preamp. I could now hear the playback thru fullrangers, but it was surely not very loud - especially as compared to the same music spun thru the cd player. (I'd wanted to compare cd to vinyl and was playing the same artist/song) Also, my speakers were moving in and out alarmingly - like some subsonic signal were severely testing their xmax. Not good for my low Qts full rangers.

So, I guess my question is... would the poor performance be due to setup of the turntable, the wrong cartridge match to my Dynaco Preamp's phono stage, a bad phono stage, or all of the above?

Thanks,
toddM

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Walker Valid Points and New Plastic barrier for turntable Pics.
Next Topic: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 22:22:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio