Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » DIY High-efficiency 2-way (DIY Speakers)
DIY High-efficiency 2-way [message #83726] Tue, 18 October 2016 19:33 Go to previous message
mjhara is currently offline  mjhara
Esquire
Hi everyone -

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this inquiry, but after trying on Reddit with little luck I thought I'd go straight to the 2-way high efficiency source! I'm in the midst of designing a pair of high-efficiency two way speakers to pair with my DIY 2A3 tube amp, and am quite a beginner when it comes to designing a crossover.

Here's an image of what I've designed thus far:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1950&private=0

It is a two way system with a 12" woofer crossed at (probably) 800Hz to a 1" compression driver on a 60 degree 9-sided conical horn. Here are the drivers I'm planning on using:
http://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td12x/
https://www.parts-express.com/radian-475pb-8-1-aluminum-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-702

Now admittedly there are probably some functional issues at hand with the design, but I'm an architect by profession and I would say that I care as much about how the speakers look as I care about how they sound and function. However, that is not to say I just want to slap together a generic crossover and simply hope for the best - I'd like to do as good a job as I can given my relatively amateurish electronics skills.

That being said - what advice might you confer for designing a crossover for a configuration like this? I've read most of Wayne's literature and am starting to familiarize myself with the process but it still seems very foreign to me.

Any advice and/or comments would be appreciated, aside from the one I keep getting that is telling me to just build a different kit. I've built kits in the past and while they're fun, I want to try something original, difficulty be damned.

Thanks for your help -
  • Attachment: 5zfH4We.jpg
    (Size: 161.13KB, Downloaded 4676 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4Pi questions
Next Topic: 2 pi tower plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 16:18:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects