Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl or CD, which is better?
Re: Vinyl or CD, which is better? [message #86317 is a reply to message #86310] Thu, 12 October 2017 17:37 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The question of durability is uncertain. CDs and DVDs are less sensitive to physical damage but there are some concerns that the substrate they use for the data might not last. I can't verify that as all my earliest CDs play just fine. Even burned one are fine. So that aspect may not be factual. LPs however can be damaged in several ways. Dropped and cracked, warped by heat and the obvious one...scratched. Even playing them on marginal turntables or with worn stylus can damage them. Care is essential for their longevity. That said I have several that are over 50 years old and they are just fine. I do take care in their playing (cleaning is good too but an entirely different topic) and my equipment is very high quality. It is hard to define durability from a sound basis. In theory a digital recording will play the same forever. LPs do exhibit some wear, but with good gear it is very minimal and thousands of plays without significant degradation are possible. Generally I find a much bigger issue in how well the recording was made, mastered and produced. Great music poorly recorded etc will sound bad no matter what the medium. Great music well recorded etc and played on low fi gear will sound low-fi.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Converting vinyl
Next Topic: The New Stereo System for Music.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 02:58:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio