Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Taking the 7Pi to the next level (Modifications of the 7Pi Loudspeaker)
Re: Taking the 7Pi to the next level [message #82960 is a reply to message #82958] Thu, 30 June 2016 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
jgoodd8050 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 19:13
First off thanks for starting this thread. I have been using my 7's for a few years now. I would love to hear more about upgrades in the mid-horn and top horn. I have tried quite a number of amps (2a3, variety of vintage push pull and some midfi solid state) and my conclusion is that class D is the best with the 2226. I pulled a Behringer dsp3000 from my sub recently. It was a major improvement, probably due the class D and sheer wattage. I plan to purchase another Behringer and biamp the system next.

I own 4pi's and I feel the mid range and top horn sound really damn good.

I am going to upgrade to 7pi's one day, which I understand has an even smoother mid range, the speaker system has less IMD.

Im just not sure how much better you can expect it to get?

Thoughts-

1- I would agree that a class D amp would be awesome for the 7pi's JBL 2226,
in a bi amped set up.

2- I doubt I would use it for the mid horn or CD horn personally, I would stick with a tube amp.

3- I'm sure Wayne can build a crossover for the 7's capable of bi-amping, seperating the 2226 from the mid and CD horns.

Would you only have to match amp gains or is there more to it?

4- Perhaps this begs the question- why not just run distant subs from your class D amp?
It would smooth the bass response.

5- Distant subs would need to be crossed over at a lower frequency, so it stands to reason that you will enjoy less of that "class D bass slam".

Which brings us back to thought-1 . Laughing

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plans
Next Topic: Pi-eyed
Goto Forum: