Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Crown amp (Amplifier for subs)
Re: Crown amp [message #82824 is a reply to message #82806] Mon, 13 June 2016 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Another question on helper sub amplification-

If I were to try and use my old Adcom 555 amp for a pair of 3pi subs, while using a low pass, line level 100hz crossover,
must I apply some kind of high pass crossover protection as well?

I have seen high pass crossovers designed in amplifiers,
I assume, to prevent over-excursion of the subs.

I notice a lot of plate amps, and even the crown amps I asked about in my post above have this.
I wonder if it is necessary with the 3pi's?

I seriously doubt that my 1985 ADcom amp has this. I did have the amp modified by Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades.
Here is a quote of his from another site, explaining some of his mods to the Adcom's-

"There are only 8 el caps in that design. 4 are the large mains filter caps, no need to change those. 2 are bias filters at 4.7 uf, I use Nichicon HE sreies 6.8 uf.The 2 remaining caps are in the gain set stage, 47 uf/100v. Those are in the audio path. I use 220 uf 100V Nichicon HE series with premium film caps added. That extends the low end to below 5 hz and removes a bit of phase shift."

As you can see, The low end capability is below 5hz Shocked

I did run my 4pi's with this Adcom for quite a while, with no problems that Im aware of.

Can anyone advise?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Need suggestions for a new amp
Next Topic: Cheap Preamp
Goto Forum: