Home » Audio » Source » Do you prefer CDs or vinyl?
Re: Do you prefer CDs or vinyl? [message #82311 is a reply to message #82310] Fri, 25 March 2016 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Was this a trick question? Very Happy I didn't know there was anything but vinyl. Rolling Eyes Actually I use both plus DVD audio and some stuff in 24/96 and 24/192 on a dedicated PC. Vinyl is the one I prefer though. The resurgence is true IMO and there are likely several reasons. First when compared to digital music (on servers) you can actually touch the disks. You really own them. If your favorite cloud server goes down (or bankrupt) you are SOL. For CDs the issues are a little different. You can hold it in your hand and do own it. The two biggest problems I have with it are: first it is only 16/44 and even with really good players you can get a sound that can have artifacts. second is that much of the music on CDs has been severely edited and altered. I do have a number that are exceptions to these problems though. Most are SACDs and HDCDs which are really different animals from the standard CD. Vinyl has issues as well. Higher distortion, lower S/N, and can be just as badly recorded as the CDs. Still when played on a good system it seems to me to have a higher quality emotional content. To sound overly simple it sounds to me to be more musical. Yes it makes no sense, but neither do a lot of other things. Now....for the future....I see high resolution digital 24 or 32 / 192 to 320 taking over. It seems to be mostly a matter of cost of storage and conversion back to sound at the user end. Recordings made in those formats and mastered well will certainly IMO be extremely hard to distinguish from the real sources. I doubt that vinyl will go away though as there is a huge reservoir of legacy music on it and much will never end up as high resolution digital. In any case which ever you prefer...just sit back and enjoy it.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Virtual "Sound"?