Home » Audio » Source » Direct Drive Revisited
Direct Drive Revisited [message #11664] Sat, 17 July 2004 14:46 Go to previous message
jason is currently offline  jason
Chancellor
Hi all,

I saw a thread going back a few months on DD vs. belt drive. I am well aware of the well established audiophile notion that direct drive can muddy the sound because of lack of proper motor isolation, and yes, I have chosen to use a belt, (Rega), TT for several years, due to this.

I have to admit, though, that the reason for the preference for belt never really sat well with me. I rememeber back in the day, some DDs that really had a sound, (even then), that made me prefer the sound of analog to digital. Also, as common sense would reason, I could not understand why it would be "impossible" for a well designed DD to work at least as well as the average belt drive table. The motor assembly and electronics used to control such a unit it seemed to me, could be, (if designed correctly), far more accurate, and therefore possibly better sounding than a belt drive.

Recently, after being frustrated with the speed variations and weak transients of me Rega, I finally decided to "try" a DD table. What I ended up purchasing after quite some time and comaprison, was a rebuilt old Technics 1600, (late '70s), with Shure V-15Vxmr, (my Rega had the M-97, of which I liked very much), from the Turntable Factory, (www.turmtablefactory.com). Joel, the propriator there, was very helpful, and set me up with a like new, (for real), rebuilt unit.

I have to say, while I expected this TT to do much better on piano notes and such, I was totally unprepared for the presentation. As far as "muddy" goes, that is nonsense. This table, was by FAR the most detailed I had heard on any source, (analog or digital), and had dynamics that would just slam the Rega. I find it somewhat amusing, (however, not surprising, that is why I posted here as opposed to AA), that the audiophile community can be so closed minded as to think that DD, (especially Technics DD), can't perforn good. The truth is, the so called entry level "audiophile" tables, such as the Rega or Music Hall, (and yes, I spent much time with both), really don't have anything on a GOOD DD table from years past.
Even more so, (i hate to say), I'm also comparing this table to much more expensive units, (such as VPIs and Basis), that, sorry, aren't in the same leauge.

I know I'm the new guy here and certainly don't wan't offend anyone. But, for those of you that know me, I'm NOT new to audio, by any means. Give a properly set up Technics DD a try. I doubt seriously that you will be disappointed.

j

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message