Home » Audio » General » Amp choices for multi-amp config
Amp choices for multi-amp config [message #988] Mon, 18 October 2004 14:54 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've recent got to experience the benefits of active-crossover and biamping in my system. Even though I'm using unsophisticated equipment that's been tossed together (old Sony CDP with variable output level, a 20 year old crossover that's seen better days, my tube integrated, and Gainclone), I'm very impressed with the results. However, it got me thinking about how to best match differenct types of amplifiers to their intended frequency range. I've got a couple of questions here:

If building a system from scratch, does it still make sense to select and use fullrange amps for the individual spectrum ranges. On one hand, fullrange amps would continue to be useful on its own if the system is ever dismantled. On the other hand, fullrange amps can add unnecessary costs if only a limited spectrum is required. For example, I found a SE tube design that can be built for a couple of hundred bucks but response is only 100Hz to 12KHz. However, to build it fullrange, it would double or triple its cost. Another way to look at it is for a given budget, I can either build a mediocre fullrange amp, or an excellent limited range amp.

Second question is, what types of amps are best suited for each part of the frequency spectrum in a 3-way configuration. Obviously, matching driver efficiency and sensitivity is very important, but let's assume driver choice will fall into place. I'm a big tube fan but have to admit that a used pro-amp would probably provide the best performance/cost ratio for the lower bass region of 100Hz and below. Most seem to agree that SET is the best choice for midrange, but I haven't come across any "amp-of-choice" for HF and UHF.

thanks,
Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: AR Turntable website unveiled
Next Topic: !!! Woodstock 25,000th Post Contest !!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 16:15:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio