Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tim's 4Pi Speaker Build (Description of My 4Pi speaker build)
Re: Tim's 4Pi Speaker Build [message #81034 is a reply to message #81033] Sun, 25 January 2015 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
timkur is currently offline  timkur
Chancellor
First impressions... uh-oh.

Once everything was cut out, I decided to do some quick sanding and put all the pieces in and try it out before painting it.

I plugged it all in, set it up to do an easy A/B testing with my M&Ks, and started playing some music, expecting to hear pure awesomeness. The bass was definitely more full, but something seemed to be missing on the higher end. My wife said something along the lines of "you probably don't want to hear this, but this sounds muffled compared to your existing speakers." And she was right.

I'm in the process of building 3 of these, so I swapped out the tweeter, midwoofer, and crossover one at a time, and there wasn't any effect.

I was wondering if this was just the case of "different types of speakers sound different", but I wanted to do some measurements anyways to make sure things were ok.

I grabbed a copy of HOLMImpulse (folks seemed to like it and it is free), pulled out the calibration mic that came with my receiver, and stacked my M&K on top of the 4pi... I wanted to make sure the speakers were super close to rule out any room effects. The mic was about 9 feet away.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1640&private=0

The results were pretty clear... I did something wrong with the construction of my 4pi. Sad M&K's are blue, 4pis are red.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1641&private=0

Any suggestions what I did wrong?

I purchased the B&C DE250 8ohm driver... was that the correct one?

Also, as a reminder, I purchased used JBL 2226H's from eBay, which were originally 4 ohm versions but according to the seller were reconed to be 8 ohms.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message