Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tim's 4Pi Speaker Build (Description of My 4Pi speaker build)
Re: Tim's 4Pi Speaker Build [message #81017 is a reply to message #81016] Wed, 14 January 2015 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
timkur is currently offline  timkur
Chancellor
T-Nut installation.

There is a great thread http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=71620#msg_71620
about installing T-Nuts. I thought I'd add some pictures and post some of my experience.

It wasn't clear to me if the T-Nuts should go on the frontside of the baffle, or the backside. When I built my 3pi subs, I put them on the front side. They were easy to install and easy access if something should go wrong. Even though that causes the mounting surface to not be smooth, the gasket helps seal it up real nice.

6 months later the sub failed in my M&K sub, and when I went to replace that, I noticed those T-Nuts were located on the back side. Additionally, one of the T-Nuts had come loose, which turned a 5 minute replacement job into a multi-hour ordeal to get that speaker out. Ugh. I wish M&K added glue to their T-Nuts like Wayne suggests.

This time around, I decided to mount the T-Nuts on the backside. The big reason why I decided to do that is that I may have cut my hole a bit too big. I guess I should have tried a 14" hole instead of a 14 1/16" hole. However, with the T-Nuts on the back side, and the taper of the speaker, this wasn't a problem.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1628&private=0

The above thread mentioned 2 different ways to install the T-Nuts... one with a screw, and another with a C clamp. I couldn't quite visualize the screw method, so I went with a C clamp.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1630&private=0

In order to get enough torque to push the T-Nut in, I needed to use one of the "crank style" clamps. I couldn't generate enough pressure with the "handle style" clamps I was using to glue the boards together.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1631&private=0

Since I put these on the backside, I figured it would be easier to do this before I glued the box together, so I could see what I was doing. Unfortunately, at this point, I had already glued one of the baffles to a box, so one of them I needed to do blind. It turned out not to be as hard as I would have expected, but it was definitely easier to do it when I could see it.

Here is one of the baffles with the T-Nuts installed. I made sure I glued them in. Before I put in the T-Nut, I wet the area with a paper towel, added a drop of gorilla glue, and clamped them in.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1629&private=0

Pretty straightforward, but putting in 24 of these things took some time. Smile

Tim

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message