Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tim's 4Pi Speaker Build (Description of My 4Pi speaker build)
Re: Tim's 4Pi Speaker Build [message #80970 is a reply to message #80969] Sun, 04 January 2015 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
timkur is currently offline  timkur
Chancellor
For my 4pi build, this is what I'm targeting.

• To cut down on costs, I purchased 4 JBL 2226H's used from eBay. The seller mentioned that they have been re-coned by a JBL authorized dealer, and they look in good shape. Only cause of concern is the seller mentioned they were originally 4 ohm speakers and reconed to be 8 ohms. However, I'm hopeful I'll be ok

• I'm not an electronics guy, and I didn't want to learn how to build the crossovers myself. Instead, I ordered one, and my father in-law got me two of them for Christmas. Standard components... no upgrades for that.

• I couldn't find the B&C DE250 used, so I ordered one new, and my parents gave me 2 more for a Christmas present (see a trend here?)

• I like the look of the recessed speakers, but after doing the math, it seemed like recessing the JBLs would leave the frame around the front baffle very thin. There has been discussion in the forums about re-enforcing the baffle from the back, but I decided I'd do the same thing as I did with the 3pi subs, and do a double thick front baffle. Just cut 2 different sized circles, and be done.

I won't bore you with the details of the initial cutting of the wood, or gluing big pieces together. I'll just touch on the interesting things I picked up while combing through the forums and actually doing it.

When cutting holes, the only hiccup I ran across was the hole for the JBL. The plans called for a 13 15/16" hole, but that wasn't large enough for my speakers. I ended up going with a 14 1/16" hole. I didn't try a 14" hole, so I may have sacrificed more wood than needed, but the speaker fits now. Maybe the larger size is related to the original 4 ohm speakers I got. Who knows.

I'm excited to figure out how to recess the waveguide. The rounded corners look like they'll be fun to cut. Smile

Thanks

Tim

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message