Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Battery Operated Preamps
Re: Battery Operated Preamps [message #80672 is a reply to message #80579] Thu, 09 October 2014 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Fri, 26 September 2014 22:42
Hi, Yes I have. However while some folks claim they are magical, I find them to be pretty much identical to ones with well thought out power supplies. The claims are mostly for quieter or if you use the term blacker background and better clarity. I keep a version of the IC based phono/tape preamp around that uses a pair of 9 volt batteries. Current drain is just under 10ma. It is handy to use as a test device. When compared side by side with the one just like it that uses an AC power supply I can not tell them apart. Both spec out at about -100dbv in MM/MI and -95dbv in LOMC/NAB. The noise spectrum is virtually identical. All that said....if battery powered gear is what you like, so be it I have no beef with it. Just not my thing.

If the background noise level is about the same, then I guess the advantage I can see is not having to deal with a power cable but since you've got other cables anyway, it doesn't really buy you that much.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Bass Rattling in Vehicle
Next Topic: TDA7293 parallel design DIY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 19:57:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects