Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 8Pi assembly and initial listening impressions (8Pi speaker)
Re: 8Pi assembly and initial listening impressions [message #80325 is a reply to message #80315] Thu, 28 August 2014 22:47 Go to previous message
owen kellog
Esquire
Tubemax / Owen,

Thanks yours. As for their bass capability, they make a surprising amount of well-integrated, tuneful bass for a 10" driver with little more than 4mm of X-max. The bass frequencies are generated courtesy of the vented volume that the Alpha 10's backwave loads, so the midhorn itself has little to do with bass reproduction (Wayne can weigh-in if my explanation of how the speaker works misses the mark). As for moving them out into the room, the bass quality remains, but there is some loss of quantity that corner-loading yields. Still a good result, but it's hard to deny the benefits of corner loading.
The speaker's imaging when placed in the room's corners as pictured is as Wayne's white papers describe- there's good center-fill and depth to the soundstage, and listening from off-axis positions still gives good placement of performers: these aren't 'head-in-a-vise' loudspeakers when placed in the room's corners.
Having said all of the above, I'm now running the speakers with a 24 dB / octave electronic crossover that high-passes the 8Pi's at 106 Hz, with frequencies below that being handled by 4 subwoofers spread around the room. I may experiment and lower that frequency a little, but integration between the 8's and the subs is excellent, and the 8's pick up some dynamic reserves by being relieved of bass duties.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 8 PI Plans
Next Topic: PI4 Build for home theatre
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:48:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations