Home » Audio » Source » Husband's old vinyl records in the attic
Re: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic [message #83199 is a reply to message #83190] Wed, 03 August 2016 15:14 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
LPs are actually surprisingly durable. Heat is not the enemy, it is flatness. Laying flat they will put up with a lot of heat. Set on an angle...nope. I have several hundred. Generally if you can stand the temperature so can they. A bigger issue is the quality of what they were played on. Many were spun on inexpensive players with needles that were badly worn. Fortunately there is some hope even for them. I find that a good cartridge with a "micro ridge" stylus (google it for details) will often reach into parts of the groove that have not be worn out. Most other more common stylus shapes don't seem to do quite as well. Right now I'm listening to a jazz LP from 1964 that was $1 in a bargain bin. It didn't look all that great, but is playing almost like new.

While on the subject (slightly OT)do not be lured into buying any of the cute cheap phonographs out there now. There are at least a dozen brands that try to tell you that you can copy your LPs to digits and others that are just cheap. Don't do it. They are better used as door stops. If you need to learn why just visit vinyengine.com there are many threads on it. That still doesn't mean you need to get a second mortgage to get something that will do a good job. Same site is full of lower cost ideas.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message