Home » Audio » Group Build » Kit vs. Finished Speakers
Kit vs. Finished Speakers [message #79882] Mon, 28 April 2014 20:24 Go to previous message
Satyaa is currently offline  Satyaa
Esquire
Hi all, I am new member on the forum and am researching speakers for HT setup for a 13' x 23' living room with cathedral ceiling.

I was hoping to buy a set of finished speakers for under $2K but it doesn't seem possible.

I am wondering whether I should buy the kits and build the speakers myself. I searched for 'kit vs finished' speakers on the forum and found nothing.

I have two questions...

1. How easy/difficult is it for a newbie to assemble speakers from these kits? I am new to cabinetry and was going to get into it for other things anyway. I can handle wiring connections/soldering/etc., but don't know anything about electronics.

2. The cost difference between kits and finished speakers is significant. Leaving the time and effort aside, how much would the material typically cost for decent cabinets (3 x Three Pi and 2 x Two Pi)?

If I go that route, I would have to spend a couple of months to get the cabinets ready and then order the kits when I am ready! That way, I won't have the kits sitting in the basement while I am learning to build cabinets.

Any advice from your experience is appreciated.

Thanks,
Satyaa

Researching for a new HT setup

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: DIY Auto Speakers
Next Topic: DIY Panels
Goto Forum: