Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater room LCR (searching for excellence )
Theater room LCR [message #79637] Sat, 08 March 2014 19:49 Go to previous message
LoveJBL is currently offline  LoveJBL
Esquire
Hello all,

about a year ago my oldest son moved out and left me with a room downstairs in my house 24' x 11'. It didn't take me long to convince my wife that I could save about $200 a month if I built a theater room. of course she had no idea how much it would cost.

In any case I quickly started compiling a list of like to haves and must haves. Didn't take me long to realize that retail sound was not going to do it for me. So I started looking at what actual cinemas use for sound and I decided to go pro.

Here is my list of current equipment.
1 Each Integra DTC 9.8
4 Each Crown DSI 1000 Amps
1 Each Crown DSI 2000 Amp
2 Each JBL 4645C Sub Woofers
1 Each EV18B set up for mid Bass
3 Each JBL 3677 used for LCR behind a AT Screen
4 Each JBL 8330 used for L and R surround and Rear Surround
various source devices BD rom, Dish, Apple TV and a Media Center

OK so needless to say that I have the capacity to tear the paint off the walls and unhinge the ceiling joists. I do like to listen to movies loud.

My JBL 3677 speakers great as they are fatigue my ears after about a half hour of an action movie. I have tried many different things to tame them but just can't seem to get them in line.

A friend of mine suggested that I check out Pi speakers, he mentioned that he had read someones post on this forum about changing the CD in the 3677 to something that was much more pleasing to the ear. I looked at the forum and could only find a post where someone tested a few different drivers but did not come to a resolution inside the JBL cabinet.

So the real question is do anyone know if a direct replacement for the CD in the 3677 that just works? I know there is much more to it than that but I have to ask.

If the answer comes back no then of course I need to start cutting wood for My Pi 4 speakers and my question will be will the woofers in my 3677's work for a Pi4 build or would it be better to get the 2226's.

Where do I start? are there plans for the speaker box cuts or sizes available.

does it make a huge difference in sound quality if you buy the crossovers with the more expensive caps and resistors for the Pi 4?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Happy Pi Day
Next Topic: Home theater with 4PI & 1 Pi
Goto Forum: