Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 PI build (Building a pair of 3 Pi speakers)
Re: 3 PI build [message #79559 is a reply to message #79484] Sun, 23 February 2014 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
I had a friend visit yesterday to hear the Pi 3 setup. He brought his laptop and music he is familiar with. My system consists of a Mac Mini, sending USB music via Pure Music to a DBlabs Tranquility DAC into a 250w/ch W4S STI500 integrated. The Pre outs are feeding a crossover /EQ to a faithful Hafler DH220 driving a pair of sealed 15" Dayton series 2 subs. The Pi 3s, running full range, are in the corners firing up the long wall and angled in at about 40 degrees. Subs are in the opposite corners behind the listening position.
My friend has had a lot of great sounding equipment over the years and he likes his music loud. He brought his torture test tracks with him.
We only had about 90 minutes but he was able to thoroughly test the system in that time. The 3's passed every test without missing a beat. He played a lot of new music and blues that I am not familiar with. Some of the bass tracks were extremely loud and deep.The system handled them without problem. Even at extreme volumes the sound remained easy to listen to without harshness or any sense of compression or distortion.
Other than the fantastic dynamics, we both thought that they were very transparent and revealing without being "bright" sounding. Wayne has done a great job at voicing these speakers. All the familiar vocals sounded natural and uncolored. This was one thing I was worried about. I can highly recommend the Eminence 4012HO woofer. It can pump out some serious volume and does not muck up the midrange. I also recommend that you brace the cabinets really well. I cannot hear any problems related to cabinet resonances. The BandC250/290C horn is also capable of excellent resolution, delicacy and an overall clean and clear presentation.
Unlike many audio products out there these speakers live up to their promise and perform at a very high level in a real room.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message