Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 PI build (Building a pair of 3 Pi speakers)
Re: 3 PI build [message #79480 is a reply to message #79478] Tue, 18 February 2014 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
Hi Wayne

To determine box tuning I simply measured the impedance minimum frequency by putting a resistor in series with the amp and measuring the frequency where the current was maximum. Perhaps this is not good enough.
When I tried to calculate the minimum impedance I got a high figure of 11ohms. I may have made a mistake in the measurements but I haven't had a chance to repeat them.
I placed a batt of insulation on the brace between the horn and woofer. This makes a tight seal sitting on the window brace. Could this be causing an over damping of the alignment and suppressing mid bass? There aren't any issues with transient response. The dynamics these will produce are eye opening. The horn and B&C driver pair are so clean and detailed that even at high levels there is no listening fatigue. These will eat most HI Fi speakers for lunch and not even belch when it comes to dynamics.
The sound is quite good with them in the corners. I am getting bass impact with the subs that will rattle your teeth. I have listened to a lot of different styles of music and am very happy with many aspects of the sound. They are very different than what I had which were dipole in the mids and had wide horizontal dispersion in the highs. I'm still getting used to them but one thing is for certain. They sure are a lot of fun. Being able to play loud and clean without listening fatigue or worrying about damaging a 20W rated tweeter is bringing some new pleasure back to listening again.
Thank you for the PI designs and your support for us DIYers.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message