Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 PI build (Building a pair of 3 Pi speakers)
Re: 3 PI build [message #79465 is a reply to message #79411] Sun, 16 February 2014 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
Got the grills done and have continued to experiment with placement. The grills are simply a frame of 1/2" MDF 2" wide on the top and sides and 3" wide on the bottom. They are simply butt joint glued together and painted flat black. The fabric and magnets/ friction discs were added and they do the job just fine.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1420&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1421&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1422&private=0

I have abandoned trying to get decent sound on the long wall. Even with the speakers moved in to 11ft. apart I still could not get a decent centre image unless I sat right in the middle. Moving a foot to the side would pull the sound to the speaker. I also had my chair against the wall which never seems to work well IME.
I put them in the corners firing up the long dimension of the room where I could sit further back. This seemed to create the stable image that they are supposed to produce. I placed my subs in the opposite corners behind the listening seat. This provides excellent deep bass and integration with the PI 3.
I got a chance to check the port tuning and it was lower than spec at 26.5 hz. I cut the ports down to just under 2" and got a tuning of 29.8hz which is right where it should be. I do wonder if I have too much insulation in the boxes. I used rock wool batts that are 3" thick and are designed for acoustic duty. At 2.5lb/cu.ft. they are slightly denser than regular fibreglass or rock wool which I believe are around 2lb.
I may have to talk to Wayne about measuring the impedance values to determine if I have too much insulation in the box.
  • Attachment: DSCF9694.jpg
    (Size: 134.23KB, Downloaded 5967 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9700.jpg
    (Size: 635.12KB, Downloaded 5960 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9701.jpg
    (Size: 1.18MB, Downloaded 6008 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message