Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 PI build (Building a pair of 3 Pi speakers)
Re: 3 PI build [message #79305 is a reply to message #79304] Wed, 05 February 2014 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
For ports I am using some that I had around. They are flared at the front and tapered slightly in diameter. I had 4 of them. 2 used and 2 new. In order to get the correct box tuning I decided to experiment with the used set of ports. I used an average diameter for the port. This figure was about 10% larger than the stock 2.5". Since the port length formula has radius squared as a variable I squared 1.1 and came up with a figure of 1.2 x the stock length of 2.5" or 3". I cut the used ports to 3" and installed them as a starting point. I can then measure the tuning frequency and work from that figure to find a port length for the permanent installation.
Driver install was pretty straight forward. The BandC 250 came with hardware to install them on the horn. It didn't take long to get things finished.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1406&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1407&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1408&private=0

I decided to try the corners as a location for these. The room is 19' x 12.5'. I put them in the corners of the long wall angled at 45 degrees which seemed incredibly far apart. I am not using the subs at this point.
So... how do they sound. Different from what I was used to. It's early to make any judgements but one thing is obvious. Dynamics are stellar. I played Jonny Lang - I Am from the album Wonder This World. This track is very dynamic and I turned it up and was surprised to hear it play much cleaner than I'd heard it in the past. The vocals stayed clean where previously they would get nasty when even approaching these levels. The overall tonality is good with no obvious problems. Bass is tight and a bit thin down low, but the woofer is just breaking in and I am used to 2 subs being in the mix. I'll post more later on sound. It's very promising at his point.

• Attachment: DSCF9673.jpg
    (Size: 198.21KB, Downloaded 6404 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9672.jpg
    (Size: 133.58KB, Downloaded 6379 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9669.jpg
    (Size: 158.83KB, Downloaded 6467 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message