Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 PI build (Building a pair of 3 Pi speakers)
Re: 3 PI build [message #78989 is a reply to message #78971] Sun, 19 January 2014 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
There are many ways to build a speaker box. A lot depends on what tools you have at hand and what methods you prefer. I will be starting with a laminated baffle. The outside is 3/4" MDF backed up by 3/4" Baltic Birch. The inner baffle is inset so it will form a ledge for the front of the walls and top/bottom. The top/bottom are inset leaving no MDF joints visible on the sides. The back will be inset. I will be adding a cap to the top, making it 2 layers thick. I'm thinking of doing a black lacquer on the top. The rest of the box will probably be flat black covered with satin water based poly urethane. I plan on making a base to bolt to the bottom and a grill to keep dust off the drivers.
Heres some pictures of the inner baffle. I cut the horn through hole before laminating the 2 layers. I used a jig saw. The one I have is a Dewalt which I just got recently. A good jig saw is a great tool to have around. This one is capable of fast, accurate cuts without a lot of noise and vibration.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1370&private=0

Laminating the panels. You need lots of glue and clamps. You need to use a glue with a long open time. I'm using Lee Valley GF2002 which I have found to work well. Tite Bond 3 is quite similar.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1371&private=0

I also used drywall screws and brads in the centre section.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1372&private=0

Do yourself a favour and tape off both ends of one of the horn flares to prevent dust from getting in there. The static charge on the plastic attracts dust like crazy.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1373&private=0

Next job was to mark out the position of the port and woofer holes. The port I'm using requires a large hole at the front where the flare is. I decided to reduce the diameter of the hole in the inner baffle so I could seal and support the port with a snug fit in the baffle and some silicone.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1374&private=0

• Attachment: DSCF9547.jpg
    (Size: 126.19KB, Downloaded 8842 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9551.jpg
    (Size: 238.67KB, Downloaded 8903 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9550.jpg
    (Size: 198.06KB, Downloaded 8907 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9553.jpg
    (Size: 170.76KB, Downloaded 8815 times)
  • Attachment: DSCF9568.jpg
    (Size: 167.64KB, Downloaded 8746 times)

Read Message