Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Yamamoto A08 tweak
Re: Yamamoto A08 tweak [message #11212 is a reply to message #11172] Wed, 28 September 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Dave,
Sorry to hear that your Yamamoto sounds dry. But of course I also tweak/voice my speakers to my liking. I am running JBL E130(frames) reconed with 2225 kits for a (approx) 99 db efficiency. I am using a 1.2 mh coil in series with the JBL bottom and running a Great Plains 902 on 650hz round wooden tractix Edgarhorn with oil/MPT/MPP (3 caps in parallel) for 14.5 ufd which is 1st order at around 1.3khz into a 8 ohm L-pad. Rounding out the bottom is a JBL 2242 18" sub with PE plate amp.

I have the older A-08 Yamamoto with EML 45's (Great tubes) and I can only say if they are "dry" sounding, then that must be a sound voicing that works for me in my small listening area.

Downstairs, I have Wellborne DRD 300B monoblocks/ASL wave preamp(single 12AU7) running 2 Pi Towers.

I did a comparison between the 300B's and the Yamamoto 45 and found the 45 amp has more inner detail and a better soundstage and a deeper soundstage. If I never had the Yamamoto, I would say the 300B amps are great. Downfall for the 300B amps is EH 300B's and 6N1P vs the handpicked tubes for the Yamamoto which makes it a hands down winner.

What speakers are you using on your Yamamoto? I have tried various speakers on mine and found the compatability factor is very critical for getting that "ultimate" sound that friends of mine have heard and puts them in a daze. They tell me that they have not heard such detail in such a little amp!!!

Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: $ v. :-)
Next Topic: LIGHTS ARE GLOWING IN QUEENSLAND...... YIPPEE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 02:11:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects