Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79261 is a reply to message #78931] Mon, 03 February 2014 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jshupe is currently offline  jshupe
Baron
I'm still waiting on the receiver, various screws and mounting parts I ordered, and the Pi 4 kits but have started working on the boxes. The Baltic Birch doesn't take stain well. After three coats it still looked significantly lighter than I was going for, so I stripped it, sanded it, and tried another brand. Same result. My first set of boxes will be painted after all. I'm going to use chalk paint on both the subs and mains, but the mains will be a pale yellow while the subs will be black. In the near future I'll swap these boxes out for MDF+veneer and a natural color finish.

The boxes are mostly done, but I'm waiting on the components to arrive before I do the front panels, so that I can measure twice and cut once!

My wife is a little upset about how large the cabinets are, so I'm working with her to redesign our entertainment center a bit. I built the current one (it's pretty simple, but works well with our furnishings and gets the job done.)

A photo of the current setup and the proposed design is at http://imgur.com/a/SGKeH

I'm worried about the structural integrity of using single 4x4 posts for each main and the TV, but considering some of the things I've used 4x4 posts for in the past, they should be fine. Tipping is another concern, but the entire assembly could be subtly tethered to the wall.

Placement isn't ideal either, and neither is using the subs to support stuff.

Edit: alternate approach at http://i.imgur.com/IvWu0uX.png, which has cable management integrated via PVC channels in the wall (made up of 2x4s, wrapped in ply)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message