Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 3 or 4?
Re: Pi 3 or 4? [message #78933 is a reply to message #78932] Thu, 09 January 2014 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I really like the look of Allen head fasteners, especially those with a button (rounded) top. I almost always use those for my best builds.

As for T-Nuts, do be sure to get a good quality part. Some are better than others, and these T-Nuts will be in your speakers for a lifetime. They won't probably be opened and closed a lot, but still, we want those fasteners to last. You don't want to ever have to drill one out.

What I've done (several times) when testing a new fastener is to use a few sacrificial parts to see how they hold up. I wish I could just count on one brand being always available, but it seems like sometimes, vendors change suppliers and I have to inspect them again. So what I do is to get a handful of screws and a handful of nuts and I put them through several tighten/release cycles. What I'm essentially doing is testing their yield, seeing how they act when they go plastic. It's not what my mechanical engineering friends would call a good stress test, but it is good enough for me to see if the threads deform easily or not. Some brands of T-Nuts are definitely better than others; Some will take several cycles before deforming threads, others are like tighten-to-yield parts after a single cycle at a mere 15 foot pounds.

On a similar subject, when you install them in your cabinets - which is hopefully a permanent installation - be sure to install them gently. The proceedure I use and suggest for you is in the link below.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds?
Next Topic: 3pi 4pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:57:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout