Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi with feet (images of my 4pi project)
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78235 is a reply to message #78234] Wed, 30 October 2013 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lucasmateo is currently offline  lucasmateo
Baron
After a two hours auditioning morning I have some partial preview of my legged 4pi.

Preview:

Imaging and soundstage are really impressive, nothing like I've ever had, it doesn't matter if the voices are female, male or tom waits, its always in font of me, amazing. They are really smooth, nothing bright or muddy, very detailed. I was worried about high frequencies, but they were there very detailed.

I noticed that this speakers are really record dependant, some records sounds amazing, with a soundstage really wide, detailed, separated instruments... and other records sounds regular. Same thing happens with good turntable carts. I think this is not a fault of the speaker, maybe its just too good for those old mp3s...

About mids and lows:

Mids were quite high giving a lot of presence at first listening yesterday at night, this morning I figured out two things, first I've used just two screws for each woofer (for testing) and forgot to screw the rest (i was tired, jej) so after tighting every screw this was corrected. yesterday I tested with some bad mp3 I had near me and as I said before I htink this speakers doesn't like bad recorded tracks.

Low frequency is still very tight but very shy. Some records sound better than others but not too much. If I put my ear on the port I can hear bass extension, but mostly from the 40hz or even lower, and very muddy.

I have to hypothesis, first one: I used too much insulation, here in my country we don't use R13 or R11 nomination, so I bought 5cms fiber glass and put a sheet and a half on top, back and port side walls. then another one and a half (7.5cms) between woofer and horn. Second hypothesis is that is used bad internal wiring, it was a standard 18awg (i thought it was 16, but not). Third hypothesis is that wood screws are screwing my beautiful speakers (I'vll order some t-nuts). Forth hypothesis is that the woofers are bad (i bought them used) but they look great, they have nice movent, and the mids have no problem at all.

So, Maybe you can help me, maybe I have to order some other things than the t-nuts from the USA. I live in Montevideo, Uruguay and there are lot of hifi stores and electronic stores, but no small t-nuts...

best,
Lucas

BTW, this speakers sound great Wayne, I have to thank you again. Even with the tight low lows, it sound great Smile I'm at the office now, but at night I'll take some nice photos and make a separate post.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message