Home » Audio » Speaker » how do Heil drivers work
Re: how do Heil drivers work [message #78132 is a reply to message #78129] Thu, 17 October 2013 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think I see what you mean. If it moves up and down as an accordian, one might theorize that it is creating positive pressure on both sides equally when compressed, and negative pressure when expanded.

There is still a very easy answer, and that is to measure the device. You can easily see its behavior in measurements. If the acoustic pressure on both sides are phased the same, it's a bipole. If it's opposite on each side, it's a dipole. Then I suppose there's also the possibility it's something else. Look at the polars, and see its radiation pattern. Dipoles, bipole and monopoles all create different polar patterns.

Where both sides are driven, the only real difference between bipole and dipole is phase. They're 180° apart. But you can have any oter kind of phase relationship too, and then it is something else. So do some measurements. They'll tell you what it is.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Acoustic Zen Crescendos
Next Topic: DIY Speaker Builders' Meet - Houston, Saturday, Nov 2nd
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 15:02:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects