Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » comparing amplifiers
Re: Some reasons why SETs sound different [message #10847 is a reply to message #10846] Sat, 11 December 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
Yes Akhilesh, it does sound great. I was very lucky on every purchase I made. I seem to have this knack for finding dealers who want to dump demo units. For example: I bought the Mastersound amp as a dealer demo with warranty @ 60% of list. The Blue Note CD player was also a dealer demo with warranty that I got @ 50% of list. Being disabled makes buying anything a long slow process of saving. Thank goodness I also had a few goodies in the closet after, 36 years of being an audiophile. So I can use these either sell or make trades at times. However the closet is now down to a pair of virtually NOS Stromberg-Carlson Slimline 15" Coaxes, that smoke the Altecs & JBL's. And IMHO are of equal footing with Tannoy RED's. I've thought about putting them in a 60 inch high rear loaded folded horn based on 1956 Jensen~Imperial Folded Horn. The plans are available on Decware's site: http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm I'm a member of the Central Florida Audio Society, so I've heard my share of Lowthers, Fostex, Voight Pipes along with 2A3, 45 and other low watt SET's. They're nice but not a road I plan on travelling. I'd be willing to put the 1st watt of the Mastersound with any 2A4, 45 or 300B i've heard to date. So don't need or want a low power SET, but Im considering a Hi-Efficincy speaker design as I mentioned above. I'm also thinking about a completely unique design that uses 4 of the higher quality Fostex 4" drivers in a line-source/horn design that will ROCK the single-fullrange, hi-efficiency and horn world. I just need someone that will help me make the cabinets and share the vision with me...

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message