Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Chinese audio
Re: Chinese audio [message #10708 is a reply to message #10706] Fri, 27 August 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Point well taken. There is NO substitute for a labour of love, and as the saying goes, "if you want it done right, then do it yourself." However, there is a point of quickly diminishing returns, and given limited funds this is a valid concern.

Your point about guitar amps is interesting. I would assume these are more high volume sales items than "audiophile," low power tube amps. What kid doesn't want/have a guitar/amp setup? These items are not judged for the most part on sound quality. They are bought because mom and dad or junior don't have or don't want to shell out the cash. Conversely, home tube amps are a rather niche market, and thanks to forums like this word spreads as to their build / sound quality. If their reputation is bad, people interested in buying have hopefully done their research and will not buy based on poor reviews. And, if their reputation for sound / build quality is acceptable, the products reputation is justified.

To be perfectly honest, I did not listen to either my Cayin TA-30 integrated or ShengYa S-10 CD player before I purchased. I read reviews, did my homework, and asked questions. The one spec I weighed heavily (no pun intended) was the product's weight. An item's mass adds both material cost and incurs additional shipping charges, and if corners are to be cut, it will show up by simply not weighing as much.

Thermionic, a question for you: Do you see a weight difference in Chinese brand quitar amps that you consider sub-par versus those you consider to be of higher quality? I would assume those of quality simply weigh more because of better built cabs, more massive drivers, heavier trannies, goes to 11, etc.....

I'm interested in your views / testing protocol regarding the trannies. I am certainly not doubting your claims in any way, shape or form. I'm just trying to learn from those much more experienced......Best regards, Colin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message