Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Chinese audio
Re: Chinese audio [message #10700 is a reply to message #10699] Wed, 25 August 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Colin,
A good topic to discuss! Thanx for the links.
My 2 cents: Yes, i have seen chinese amps make inroads into the market, in the last 2-3 years. I am going to list below concerns folk may have with amps made in china (esp SET amps). I do not mean to single out any cutlure or country, just listing concerns some folk here may have:
1. Maybe using fake parts, esp. the trannies. Having grown up in a third world country myself, I can definitely say that the temptation to save3 bucks by putting in fake parts is a big one.
2. Maybe using poor solder..again..saving a few pennies per amp, maybe unavailability of good solder
3. Maybe unreliable workmanship...always a problem when you are paying low wages
4. No warranty coverage...at least not as reliable as a USA based company

If you build an amp yourself, clearly that's most cost effective. BUt if you get one built here in the USA, you pay more, but you may have a little more peace of mind.
Again, these concerns may go away as these amps get some reputation. AS of now, I think they are a GREAT price, with a little bit of uncertainty. Colin, hearing your positive experiences with them is a good item of info to have, at least for me. Takes away some of the uncertainty.
thanx
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message