Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SET Kits
Re: SET Kits [message #10714 is a reply to message #10672] Sun, 29 August 2004 19:31 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Do a google search and grab a pencil and paper and start writing down what you find. Make a list. There are lots of kits. Higher end kits are by Sunaudio, Yamamoto sound craft (try to find a Yamamoto kit sold in the Far East. The American distributor adds about $1K to the cost.) Welborne, AudioNote and many others. I own a Welborne 300b DRD "ultimate" with SS rectification. This amplifier has really high quality parts like ElectraPrint output transformers. The build quality is top notch for a 300b amp that rocks with my 100dB horns. The bass is tight and fast, and the mid-range, and highs are just outstanding. I am soon looking for a 45 pair of mono blocks to power my 110dB efficient TAD td-4001 2" 16 ohm compression drivers. So far the Welborne 45 DRD's are outfront on my short list. I need a 2nd pair to biamplifiy with my Marchand XM-126 2-way tube speaker crossover. Do not overlook DIY also. I just bought the Welborne wood chassis for my 300b DIY mono blocks for my apartment to drive my 93dB efficient JBL L300 Summit speakers. Just try to find a kit with high quality transformers. The iron is most important as are using good parts in a well thought out design. Even my DIY 300b amps will have Tango XE20S-2.5s output and Tamura 10H chokes. The power supply caps are paper in oil motor run caps. Lastly spend the money for good tubes. I am saving my pennies for WE 300b that are $709 a matched pair new. I currently use TJ 300b mesh plates and they are very good sounding. Have fun and remember that all audio is very subjective. None more so than tube audio to be sure. Many will give the nod to Bottlehead. I think for a little more money you get a much better sounding amplifier with the Welborne DRD line. Then again your stereo is only as good sounding as your speakers are. Good luck finding the right kit to build and have fun always in audio! John C. Framingham, MA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message