Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofers are back in town
Subwoofers are back in town [message #77459] Fri, 09 August 2013 13:57 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some may remember I long ago cut down the BatSpeakers

index.php?t=getfile&id=1239&private=0

and installed the 15" Dayton Classics with mis-matched plate amps.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1240&private=0

Last year one amp quit and I hadn't been happy with the other from the start so left the subs out of the system 'til now.

With all the rain we've had this year I've spent a lot of time listening and thinking...thinking about what to do with the Adcom 545 I picked up cheap as a "Summer amp" but really didn't enjoy listening to. Then...(envision light bulb)

...acquired a cheapo 130Hz Dayton dual coil subwoofer crossover, cut it in half, installed each half in a sub, buttoned up the plate amp hole and installed a terminal.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1242&private=0

Figuring there might be a SLIGHT mis-match between the 1.8 Watt 45 Amp and the 150 Watt Adcom Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing,
I built a level control with a pair of Alpha 10K mono pots and a $4 Radio Shack project box.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1243&private=0

Subs are playing nicely with the 4Pis which is especially gratifying 'cause my "pre-amp" is passive; the level controls make the combo work.

A new pair of plate amps would have been $250 and hum is always an issue with them. I spent less than $50 bucks over what I already had in the Adcom and parts drawer RCAs, etc.

Let it rain. Well...not really...I do hate having that 150MM travel bike parked so many days

index.php?t=getfile&id=1244&private=0

but it's great getting all the notes down to 27Hz or so.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Three Pi Plans
Next Topic: 4Pis are better now?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 14:19:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio