Home » Audio » Speaker » Open Baffle Speakers
Re: Open Baffle Speakers [message #76937 is a reply to message #76909] Mon, 03 June 2013 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, Actually they sound pretty good. Some refinements are in order though. For one I am going to enlarge the baffles to the more common size of 36 wide and 31 tall (now are 29 wide and 25 tall). This will increase the bass response with the speaker I'm now using by about 3 db all the way down to 40HZ and not mess up the lower mids in the range up to about 500HZ. Modeling indicates a response from 40 to 500 as +/- 2.5 db and a lot flatter above that. Right now I'm using a GRS car audio woofer (high Q and low cost - about $15 each from Parts Express) and a Goldwood GT25 tweeter from Madisound ($4 each)with a 2.7uf PIO crossover and a -3 db network on the tweeter. The original plans call for use of a Zenith 12 inch woofer (lots on Ebay) with the GT25 on the small baffle. If found that combination lacking in bass and it had a significant bump at about 200HZ that colored the sound. Cheap though. The GRS woofer is even cheaper and seems a better match. I tried a few other things.... 15 inch infinite baffle sub from PE (good on bass, bad in mid range without a choke to hold it to under 1K), a pair of vintage Lafayette radio tri ways, 15 inch as well (OK, but just didn't do what I thought they should), a Fostex FE126E for the upper end (too forward), some B&G Neo 3 planers on the top end (OK but perhaps too bright).

The idea is to come up with a cheap easy to do speaker system that has good performance. Hopefully with a cost of under $50 per channel. With the GRS woofer and GT25 tweeter it is close.

More to follow as I tinker.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How Do Amplifiers Actually Work?
Next Topic: Tuning below Fs with JBL 2226H?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 09:02:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio