Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two PI: A Little Bright OR Light in the Bass?
Two PI: A Little Bright OR Light in the Bass? [message #76092] Sat, 30 March 2013 14:04 Go to previous message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Hey,

I've been living with a pair of 2PIs on and off, in and out of my system for the past few years now.

While the tonal balance is a tad on the "middy" or "vintage" side which I like, I think overall they are lacking in bass... or maybe it's just a that they are a tad bright?

I've only ever really compared them to my Audio Note Js and I'm running them with a pair or Bottlehead Paramours... the Js are flatter sounding... not a ton more bass... but they have it where is counts for most rock records... and although some folks think they are a tad on the bright side as well, when they listen at my house... the PIs are surely brighter still. It is particularly egregious when playing music with prominent jangly or distorted guitars and bashy cymbals. Basically around 2-3k...

I've got 14 gauge wire throughout, 0.51mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductors, Solen 10uf caps and a 20ohm wirewound across the tweeter like the older design called for. lightly stuffed with polyfil.

I read one tweak might be to swap the film caps for oil-filled motor run caps... But I really feels it's more a lack of bass.

Any thoughts?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message